[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods was Cooking Spam

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Nov 12 06:08:51 PST 2001

Laura C. Minnick <lcm at efn.org> [2001.11.09] wrote:
> So does anyone else have the day-before-payday-food stories? Stuff you
> remember fondly or stuff you never want to eat again?

The Swedish standard is black pudding. Dirt cheap (still is), fried in
slices and served with lingonberry jam. Malaches -- at least my
redaction -- come out not very different from Swedish black pudding.
I still eat it -- both the store bought stuff (I prefer the Scania
regional version, with raisins) and the home made malaches from Forme of
Cury.

Period food angle; anyone compared the malaches white with the "modern"
Scottish white pudding (whose gaelic name sounds something like
"malach...")?

UlfR

UlfR                                                 parlei at algonet.se
More Surrealpolitik than Realpolitik, but then, this *is* Ireland we're
talking about.
                -- Steve Glover