[Sca-cooks] spices question

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Nov 12 20:58:43 PST 2001

Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> [2001.11.12] wrote:
> It should, in theory. The whole dried roots keep a _lot_ longer than
> the pre-powdered stuff. Once or twice I've seen small jars of whole,
> dried ginger roots in Latino markets. The dried roots are about the
> size of your little finger.

Here you can -- even in regular grocery stores -- buy whole dried
ginger. I didn't remember to try the ginger, but it worked wey well with
my home-dried galingale. Short (<2 mm) long fibers left, but should be
ok to cook with. Next batch I dry I'll just julienne them before drying

> Which, by the way, you want to be sure not
> to lose in chopping them ;  )

Yes, I think I'll use the ulu for that job. Alternatively one should be
able to pre-crush them in a bag with a mallet.

UlfR

UlfR                                                 parlei at algonet.se
"Apparently no one likes this style except RMS, but that's never been
known to stop him before."              -- Ben Pfaff