[Sca-cooks] Medieval cooking for non-cooks

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 14:48:28 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/7/2001 4:13:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
smithson at mco.edu writes:

> I started with the ubiquitous Macrowns (medieval Mac and Cheese) made with
> lasagna sheets for ease.
> Caboches in potage
> Buttered wortes
> Funges

For a Macrows variation, try Losyns - Lasagna noodles cooked in broth, then
layered with cheese and sweet spices like cinnamon - possibly powder douce, I
can't remember right now.  I personally like it with mozzarella cheese.

Thee's also a recipe in the Miscellany called "Makke" that is mostly beans
and wine and turns out tasting like refried beans.  If they are college
students they can probably get hold of a little wine somewhere!

It's probably the wrong time of year, but a really easy one from Le Menagier
is to take pea pods (like snow peas), boil them, and put butter on them.

Brangwayna Morgan