[Sca-cooks] OOP pastry question

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Tue Nov 13 18:57:16 PST 2001

> >I go with 2 parts flour, 1 part shortening, a pinch of salt.
>
>(If I used butter, would the same proportions be ok?)

It would work, though the texture wouldn't be quite the same.  Also,
working a pure butter dough is much harder, as getting the dough
temperature right is more difficult.  I rarely make pure butter, or even
mixed butter doughs for pie.  While it is most excellent, I find the butter
flavour to be really rather strong for most pies I do.

>Hmmm...don't know if I'd want to add vinegar, because the dough will have a=
>  sweet filling.  Sounds like a nice touch, though.

No no no, go for it.  You don't put enough to really taste it, it just
gives a vague *sweetish* taste to it, if you put too much vinegar.  I use
that for both sweet and savoury fillings.

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout