[Sca-cooks] OOP pastry question

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Tue Nov 13 18:17:32 PST 2001

Nicolas Steenhout <vavroom at bmee.net> wrote:

>I've been known to freeze my brisee with no ill effect.

Cool :-)  Glad to know that's an option, because I may be making  big batch.

>Personally though, I don't like Joy of cooking's recipe for it.

It's the only one I happen to have - the one I've made before is from a French source (either Paul Bocuse or the Larousse Gastronomique, I forget...), but it's at my parents' house :-(  I don't recall anything about proportions, except that every pate brisee I've seen uses butter, not shortening.  I was just going to substitute it - would that work?

>I go with 2 parts flour, 1 part shortening, a pinch of salt.

(If I used butter, would the same proportions be ok?)

>work flour
>and shortening together until you have a fairly homogenous mixture.  I do
>this by "crumbling" the shortening in my hands with the flour.  Got to work
>quick, don't want the shortening to go warm.  Can use a "dough mixer".
>
>Then mix in COLD water.  About 1/10th water for the amount of flour, though
>that varies depending on your weather, the flour, etc.  Just add it a
>little at a time.  I also like to substitute about half the water for red
>wine vinegar.  Makes the dough nice and "breaky" once cooked.

Hmmm...don't know if I'd want to add vinegar, because the dough will have a sweet filling.  Sounds like a nice touch, though.

>Food for thoughts :-)

Thank you! :-)

Vittoria