[Sca-cooks] OOP pastry question

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Tue Nov 13 11:11:11 PST 2001

At 01:35 PM 11/13/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>There seem to be a fair number of pastry chefs on this list, so I hope one =
>of you can answer a quick question for me.  I want to make pate brisee; I f=
>ound a recipe in the Joy of Cooking which looks reliable, and it says the d=
>ough can be refrigerated for a few weeks.  Could it also be frozen, or will=
>  this just ruin it completely?

I've been known to freeze my brisee with no ill effect.

Personally though, I don't like Joy of cooking's recipe for it.

I go with 2 parts flour, 1 part shortening, a pinch of salt.  work flour
and shortening together until you have a fairly homogenous mixture.  I do
this by "crumbling" the shortening in my hands with the flour.  Got to work
quick, don't want the shortening to go warm.  Can use a "dough mixer".

Then mix in COLD water.  About 1/10th water for the amount of flour, though
that varies depending on your weather, the flour, etc.  Just add it a
little at a time.  I also like to substitute about half the water for red
wine vinegar.  Makes the dough nice and "breaky" once cooked.

Food for thoughts :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka