[Sca-cooks] payn perdu et. al.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 13 22:13:29 PST 2001

Iasmin replied to me with:
> Stefan wrote:
> >Ok, what is a Payn Perdu? I thought this was a bread, but some
> >of the examples sound like more of a pudding. Are these examples
> >all for variations of the same dish? "Payn" is bread, right? Or
> >is this actually what would generally be considered a "bread
> >pudding" today?
>
> Literally, it means "lost bread" but mundanely you and I might call
> it "French Toast" in America. The reason you see things that look
> like puddings is, well, because they are. But the cooking techniques,
> their order, and the ingredients, vary little from any number of
> bread and egg dishes in period or through into this century. I've
> included some recipes people would consider incorrectly labeled
> as a "french toast" recipe simply based on those reasons. We have
> examples of bread being fried or baked, after being dipped in an
> egg mixture or after having the egg mix poured on, with or without
> spices, with or without flavorings, sometimes sweet and sometimes
> savory. And all of them stem from some recipe called "payn perdu"
> or another recipe thereof.

Ah, ok. Yes, we've talked about "French Toast" here before. We, uh
you all, have probably even used the term "Payn Perdu" before. But
I'm just a simple lad and those fancy French terms just kinda go
right over my head...

> You already have french toast recipes in your collection. But the
> article and notes aren't as complete as mine. *wink*grin*

Ok, I was going to mention I had some files you might want to look
though... :-) but it looks like you already have.

What do you mean not as complete as yours? All I think I've seen
from you was this listing of Payn Perdu recipes, which I will try to
add to the French-Toast-msg file. Do you have a more complete article/
set of notes? If so, can I have it for the Florilegium? I can
wait until after your class.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net