[Sca-cooks] payn perdu et. al.

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 14 04:33:41 PST 2001

seems they are somewhere in the realm of or between French toast and bread pudings, depending on interpretations and recipe construction from the texts.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Iasmin said:> Good afternoon. I recently asked a semi-local cooking friend (hi
> Ginny!) for help finding recipes for Payn Perdu that I might have
> missed. In December I am teaching a class on basic recipe redaction
> at the MK Starleaf Gate Cook's Symposium in Windsor, ONT and I am
> using Payn Perdu as the example recipe.

Ok, what is a Payn Perdu? I thought this was a bread, but some
of the examples sound like more of a pudding. Are these examples
all for variations of the same dish? "Payn" is bread, right? Or
is this actually what would generally be considered a "bread
pudding" today?

Thanks,
  Stefan
(who would like to add this message to the Florilegium but has
no idea where to file it...)