[Sca-cooks] Gerard's Herball

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed Nov 14 15:35:02 PST 2001

Hello!

I have a copy of the Dover edition of Gerard's Herbal:
Gerard, John.  The Herball or Generall Hi†torie of Plants.  London, 1633.
Thomas Johnson, ed.  Rpt. Dover Publications, Inc.  1975.
This is the complete 1633 edition as edited by Thomas Johnson. IIRC Johnson
added over 700 more plants to the book. The only problem I have with this
Dover edition is that it is slightly reduced in size from the original,
making the Greek characters illegible.

The Woodward edition is hopelessly incomplete, and a waste of money.
Woodward, Marcus.  Gerard's Herball, The Essence thereof Distilled by
Marcus Woodward from the Edition of Th. Johnson, 1636.  Crescent Books.
New York, 1985.

Gerard, John.  The Herball or Generall Hi†torie of Plants.  London, 1597.
Rpt. Walter J. Johnson, Inc.  Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, Ltd.  Keizersgracht
526, Amsterdam, 1974.  An enormous work, literally. It is in 2 volumes  &
far superior to the Woodward edition.  Priced at over $200.

Regards,

Cindy