[Sca-cooks] TURKEY GRAVY

Morses3 at aol.com Morses3 at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 20:31:11 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/14/2001 11:23:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

> like that cornbread stuff that Seumas wants to put into
> the turkey! Get me a crucifix!

I'll delurk to say that I've always thought I'm a decent gravy maker (no
recipe, just throw in whatever is around and stir :-), but I've gotten lots
of good ideas from these messages. Who knew you could put wine in gravy- I'll
definitely try it!

On the same note since it's a timely subject, what stuffing recipes does
everyone use that they like the best? Which ones have you tried and not liked?

My standby favorite for the last 15 years has celery, water chestnuts,
cranberry sauce (yes, in the stuffing), lots of sage and pepper, onions, a
little apple juice,and Jimmy Dean hot sausage all mixed up with the bread
cubes. (Hey, I grew up in the south....it HAS to be Jimmy Dean!) I don't cook
mine in the turkey since I prefer to let the turkey cook faster and like
making the stuffing ahead of time for the flavors to blend.

The worst stuffing I've had was a cornbread based one (that's what they said
it was, we all doubted it...)at a friend's house one year that contained
canned peas (the really big ones like they used to serve in the school
cafeteria) onions, and curry. They said they made up the recipe
themselves....Nobody present doubted them.

Gervase