[Sca-cooks] GIFILLTE FISH ::WAS::: TURKEY GRAVY

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 13:58:15 PST 2001

If you live near any largish Jewish community you may be able to find premade
raw gifillte fish mixture in the frozen section of the kosher foods dept.

One brand is *Moishe's* one brand isn Munchs (i think) Anyway. It is a frozen
raw loaf of gefillte fish that you use and "doctor" up to have it taste the
way you like it.

I use the frozen loaf a lot.  I fill a large pot with water as if boiling
noodles. I add sugar and spices to the water. Drop the fish in ( either
whole, wrapped as is, in its parchment paper or sometimes I take the paper
off and with oiled hands make lagre "meatballs" from the mixture and drop the
balls into boiling water.) and bring it to the boil and cook for about 1/2 an
hour.

Turn off the heat and let cool a bit and then remove the fish to cool on a
platter.
You can also put carrots in the water to cook along with the fish and be sure
to serve the fish with horseradish.
Phillipa