[Sca-cooks] GIFILLTE FISH ::WAS::: TURKEY GRAVY

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 14:19:41 PST 2001

> I have a couple of questions... I'd been told that the skin of yellow
> pike, a.k.a. walleye, actually a perch and not a pike at all, was rather
> unpleasant, which is why it's apparently pretty common to skin the fish
> before cooking and eating it. I don't know if it's supposed to be
> Anyway, I've never
> eaten the skin, and wonder if it does make a good stock

In every recipe I have read for gefillte fish, it says to save the skin &
bones to make a stock "yoiche" in Yiddish (fish soup)  I have no personal
experience with  yellow pike so I couldn't tell you.

> would have more experience with this than I do, so I'm not
> so much
> taking issue with the concept as wondering if there's a better way, or
> if it's simply not an issue.

What is not an issue?

For example, if the sweet aromatic veggies

> mask a slight bitterness or something like that.
>
> Next... I note that this recipe calls for challah and not matzoh. Apart
> from this most obvious difference, is there any other reason why this
> recipe would not be suitable for Passover?

For use during the year one would use bread crumbs and for consumption during
Passover one would use matzoh meal. Having said that, I know many, many
Jewish cooks who habitually use matzoh meal no mater what time of year,.
(Personally, I think challah tastes better - but I have a hate-hate
relationship going with matzoh.
Now Shmurah matzoh is another story)

> And lastly, what do you mean by a tablespoon of saltfish? Are you
> talking about shredded salt cod or something like that, or is this a
> seasoning _for_ fish?

I have never seen a recipe calling for salt fish and so my guess is that it
would be seasoning *for* the fish. But all the cooks I know would just use
salt.

> Multitudinous thankees,

You are vastly welcome.  (wish we lived closer so I could make some for you.
Now I;m in the mood to eat some!

Phillipa