[Sca-cooks] TURKEY GRAVY

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Nov 15 14:58:13 PST 2001

I make cornbread dressing rather than stuffing.  Basically, it's a rich eggbread
mixed with the same amount of stale white bread.  You start off by cooking the
neck in water to make a broth.  Then you cook chopped onion and celery in the
broth until translucent.  Next you crumble up the cornbread and white bread and
pour the broth mixture, an egg or two (depending on quantity), salt, pepper, a
dash of sugar and mix the whole business up (using your hands works better than
trying to use a spoon).  Pack it into a glass baking dish and bake at 350 until a
straw come out of the center cleanly.  This recipe, along with instructions on how
to roast the turkey and make giblet gravey, comes from the Purefoy Hotel in
Talladega, AL..and was what my mother made when I was growing up!  I really love
it!

Kiri