[Sca-cooks] Question to the gang.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 17 19:15:42 PST 2001

Glenn A. Crawford asked:
> What are, in your opinion, the top five (5) medieval cookbooks (in english, I
> can't read anything else)?

I'm not sure what the top five would be. I suspect this will differ
from person to person depending upon the cultures they are interested
in, their cooking skills and their ability to read old texts. Even the
English ones can be difficult to read (ie: every tried to read
Shakespeare?) and the format of medieval cookbook recipes are different
from what many people are used to using.

Anyway, check out some of the bibliographies and reviews in the
FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium such as:
cookbooks-bib     (40K)  6/ 9/01    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-bib.html

> And where are the best places to find them?

You might try some of the places mentioned in this file:
merch-cookbks-msg (10K)  8/31/99    Merchants selling period cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/merch-cookbks-msg.html

You can also find some online, but these will mostly be in the original
text or translations and not changed to modern recipe formats:
online-ckbks-msg  (23K)  4/11/01    Online versions of period cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/online-ckbks-msg.html

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net