[Sca-cooks] ambergris substitute?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 18 15:07:51 PST 2001

Trade in ambergris is prohibited by international treaties.  Modern perfumes
use the plant derivative ambrox to replace the ambrein derived from the
ambergris.

You might find this web page interesting as it gives information about using
ambergris in beverages:

http://www.netstrider.com/documents/ambergris/miscellany/

It is part of a somewhat larger collection of information:

http://www.netstrider.com/documents/ambergris/

Unfortunately, I have no information on where on can get ambrox.

Bear