[Sca-cooks] ambergris substitute?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 18 20:25:32 PST 2001

Daniel Raoul said:
> Was asked:
> > >Hello!  I'm passing along a request for information. Does anyone know of
> > >a synthetic ambergris? If not, is there a good substitute you use for
> > >ambergris? Do you know where someone could find the real thing?
>
> Regards obtaining the real thing without doing in a whale, historically it
> is occasionally found cast up on the beach.  So, for what it is worth, that
> is where you would find it.   It is probably more common as floatsome in
> certain areas of the world so a little research might improve your odds....

Exactly. The equivalent of a cat's hairballs, but from a much larger
animal.

Someone else said:
> Sorry but the real thing is illegal.  It is part of the whale and
> whaling it a very politically incorrect and the UN is trying to get it
> banned all togeter.

It's not part of the animal. So why are they trying to ban whale
'hairballs'? Because it can more easily be obtained by killing the
whale than hunting for what it spits up?

They still allow possession of fossil ivory or ivory obtained when
the animal is killed by legal means (ie: "native" hunters even if
done with firearms).

Why can't/don't they allow processing of that found naturally? Seems
a bit wasteful to me to do otherwise.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net