[Sca-cooks] Chayote? (OP)

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Mon Nov 19 13:30:48 PST 2001

At 02:39 PM 11/19/01 -0600,Mark.S Harris said something like:
>I am considering this recipe for later this week, but I'm not sure
>what a "Chayote" is. I think this may be the pale, round, greenish
>pepper thing with a thin papery skin that I've seen in the grocery,
>but I'm not sure. So, can someone tell me what a Chayote is? And just
>in case I can't find one, some possible substitutes?
>
>Thanks,
>   Stefan

A Chayote is a squash, with a taste similar to zucchinni, but a slightly
firmer texture when cooked. I believe what you described is a tomatillo.
And while they're not hot and spicy, they give a nice tart flavor to your
salsas. It looks like the only distinctly "southwestern" flavored item in
that stuffing is the jalapenos.

I did a brief search on "southwestern turkey stuffing", and found several
recipes like the one you have. Here's a few more that sound just a tad more
spicy and southwestern flavored.

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/holidays/southwestern_stuffing.html
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/holidays/southwestern_stuffing2.html
--cheeses and chilis,  yum.
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/holidays/southwestern_stuffing3.html --
chorizo and chilis .. yum again.

And for the way over the top discovery, a jalapeno-cranberry cookie:
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/holidays/cranberry_cookies.html

Regards,
Maggie MacD.