[Sca-cooks] Chayote? (OP)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Nov 19 13:42:06 PST 2001

"Mark.S Harris" wrote:

> I am considering this recipe for later this week, but I'm not sure
> what a "Chayote" is. I think this may be the pale, round, greenish
> pepper thing with a thin papery skin that I've seen in the grocery,
> but I'm not sure. So, can someone tell me what a Chayote is? And just
> in case I can't find one, some possible substitutes?

No, that thing with the papery skin is probably a tomatillo. A chayote
is a squash, and it is about the size of a papaya or a large pear, pale
green, and one end of it looks like someone who has been eating
something sour- really puckered/wrinkled up. But cut up they are very
nice and mild. I would guess you might have to go to an ethnic grocery-
but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a chayote squash in
Austin Tx...

'Lainie
(hey- you can them here in whitebread Portland!)