[Sca-cooks] Chayote? (OP)

Mon Nov 19 14:30:03 PST 2001

Chayote looks something like a large pear with a light green skin.  It is
often called a squash, but it is not in genus Cucurbita.  The scientific
name is Sechium edule and it is a cucurbit being a member of the family
Cucurbitaceae.

For a look at the taxonomy, scientific description, varietals and use as a
food plant try:

http://www.ipgri.cgiar.org/publications/pdf/355.pdf

Bear