[Sca-cooks] Chayote? (OP)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Nov 19 15:02:52 PST 2001

Maggie MacD. answered my question about Chayotes with:
> A Chayote is a squash, with a taste similar to zucchinni, but a slightly
> firmer texture when cooked. I believe what you described is a tomatillo.
> And while they're not hot and spicy, they give a nice tart flavor to your
> salsas. It looks like the only distinctly "southwestern" flavored item in
> that stuffing is the jalapenos.

Thank you. And to everyone else who answered my question. Yes, I think
I the one I was describing was a tomatillo. Those are only about an
inch in diameter and once you remove the papery, wrinkled skin are
almost
perfectly round and very smooth. Not like the picture that Johnnae gave
the link to and certainly not 2-3 pounds in weight.

I'm not sure I want anything like a zucchinni in my stuffing...

> I did a brief search on "southwestern turkey stuffing", and found several
> recipes like the one you have. Here's a few more that sound just a tad more
> spicy and southwestern flavored.
>
> http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/holidays/southwestern_stuffing.html
> http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/holidays/southwestern_stuffing2.html
> --cheeses and chilis,  yum.
> http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/holidays/southwestern_stuffing3.html --
> chorizo and chilis .. yum again.

These sound closer to what I'm looking for. Ground up Fritos, though?
None
of the recipes I've seen so far are as spiced as the dish I remember. I
may just take the best features of each of these recipes and others I've
found, add some more things like some cumin and see what I end up with
(and whether it is edible :-) ).

Stefan