[Sca-cooks] Chayote? (OP)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 19 15:03:34 PST 2001

Stefan wrote:
>I am considering this recipe for later this week, but I'm not sure
>what a "Chayote" is.

...answered by others...

>I think this may be the pale, round, greenish
>pepper thing with a thin papery skin that I've seen in the grocery,
>but I'm not sure.

That, as someone said, is most likely a tomatillo, which not a
tomato, but a relative of the ground cherry, which is not a cherry...
Tomatillos are seedy and acidy and often used in green salsas and
some green sauces in Mexican cuisine.

>So, can someone tell me what a Chayote is? And
>just in case I can't find one, some possible substitutes?

You've already gotten some good definitions and descriptions. I'd
just like to add that they are also known as christophenes, and i
used to find them in Caribbean markets when i lived in NYC in the
late 60's.

While they aren't like any other summer squashes i know of, the ones
that seem most similar in texture to me are the patty pan squashes
(flattish "flying saucer" shapes with scalloped edges). Zucchinis are
just too, i dunno, something, or maybe not enough...

Anahita