[Sca-cooks] Belted

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Nov 19 14:47:02 PST 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> > >like a red belt usually is worn by a Knight's squire. You may also see a
> > >yellow belt, which is worn by a Pelican's protegee.
> > >'Lainie
> >
> > Yup.  Your right.  My bad, I just posted red as a journeymans belt colour.
> > Olwen
>
> What's a journeyman? Is that some honor in the SCA?
>
> Misha

Nope. Sorry to say. We go through this conversation out here every
couple of years. 'Squire' is not an award, an office, or an honor. It is
a job title. 'Journeyman' is a guild ranking. Being an apprentice,
protege, or squire means you are formally tied to a peer, and that there
is some sort of reciprocal arrangement, usually involving behavior,
training, and a sh*tload of work. Being the apprentice or whatever to
someone in particular may carry cachet, but the position itself is not
anything you get bowed to for or stuff like that.

It can mean that someone Important has noticed you and thinks you have
potential. And it can mean many other things. It can mean a lot of work.
It can be very rewarding. But it is not an award, carries no rank or
precedence. Definitely something to think about long and hard before you
do it.

'Lainie