[Sca-cooks] Proteges Belts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Nov 19 16:45:04 PST 2001

"Craig Jones." wrote:

> A couple of questions:
>
> Are there many cases of apprentices/proteges "markers" in things other
> than a belt.  Such as a hat/pouch/sword/other item with your
> mistress/masters device upon it?

Or just a favor. Or nothing. Taking an SAP is frequently done in public,
and sartorial splendor is not usually part of the ceremony. ;-)

> Also, are there many cases of apprentice/master (I doubt that this
> would work well for proteges) relationships that are solely long
> distance either because of the remote locale of the student or
> teacher, or because of the obscure nature of the specialization of the
> subject that is being studied?

I wouldn't say 'solely', but there are some cases, yes. My #1 student
lives 300 miles away, fortunately in the same area where James lives. #2
student lives oh, 5, maybe 7 miles south. Whom do I see more often? You
guessed it. But I work with both of them via e-mail, some by phone. It
really does depend on the nature of what the teaching/learning is about.
It is tough to teach someone to throw a blow via e-mail. But I can send
a list of possible sources, and explain some techniques on-line. And
most of all, it depends upon the relationship between the two. Some
people work out just fine long distance. Some don't. And quite frankly,
having a Relationship (capital R) is very difficult long-distance, and
it can require the same amount of energy and committment- if you don't
think you could deal with an SO far away, there is a good chance that it
would be hand to have a Master far away.

And Drake? Asking thoughtful questions is not evil. It is in fact quite
wise. :-)

'Lainie
whose SO got in the van this morning to drive 300 miles south... life
bites and I'm tired of the communting thing, but he's worth it... (I
just wish we didn't have to!)