[Sca-cooks] Proteges Belts

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Mon Nov 19 16:29:16 PST 2001

>Are there many cases of apprentices/proteges "markers" in things other
>than a belt.  Such as a hat/pouch/sword/other item with your
>mistress/masters device upon it?
"many" cases? Dunno, but it's common enough that most people don't
find such things surprising. I don't have a belt yet (although one is
sort of in progress; I bought a card-woven belt in my colors at an
auction, and it's being accessorized by my Laurel's husband with,
among other things, a buckle with her motto on it), but I do carry
her favor, to wit, one amber necklace of Great Sentimental Value.
Other relationships have the whole gamut of favor-things, pouches,
tunics, belts, and, for all I know, tattoos. . .

>Also, are there many cases of apprentice/master (I doubt that this
>would work well for proteges) relationships that are solely long
>distance either because of the remote locale of the student or
>teacher, or because of the obscure nature of the specialization of the
>subject that is being studied?
Yes. I'm in Calontir (Missouri, specifically) and my Laurel, Tegan, is
in An Tir (Washington State). I know of one person, a Calontir expatriate
currently in the MidRealm, whose knight is in Lochac. There are others
out there. It is not common, however. . .

Alban, who'll be seeing her in 5 days for the first time in a year