[Sca-cooks] Roast piggy portions

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:14:07 PST 2001

The caterers are probably saying a pound or more per person because they are
including the weight of the bones and loss.  It could even be higher.  Whole
pigs are not all that difficult to cook, just stay attentive with a spritzer
bottle for flare ups.  If you begin with two smaller pigs you have much less
waste than with one larger one.  Handling two is easier also.  I can stick
two 60 pound pigs in my cartop carrier quite nicely (of course getting them
up there and back down is a trick).  Talk to your butcher about the price
difference between large and smaller pigs.  The smaller ones are usually
cheaper.  It seems if you go with two 85 pound pigs you should be more than
set considering the rest of the menu.

~ Oh Master Chirhart!  Chime in here please!
Olwen