[Sca-cooks] Help! Need Recipe for Apple-vinegar stuff

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 20 19:51:51 PST 2001

On 20 Nov 2001, at 19:48, Wanda Pease wrote:

> Last year we talked about a condiment, that consisted of apple vinegar
> (?) and other "stuff" boiled down to make a syrup.  I've moved
> computers, and my recipes file is temporarily out of reach.

I suspect you mean the cider sauce, from Granado.  The whole thing is in
the Flory-thingy, in this file:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/sauces-msg.text

here's the redaction:

Apple Cider Sauce
2 cups sweet apple cider
8 ounces sugar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white wine
1/2 ounce cinnamon sticks
1/2 whole nutmeg
4 whole cloves
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over medium-low
heat about 45 minutes, until the volume is reduced by half and a candy
thermometer reads 220F (105C). Strain through cheesecloth. Pour into
a clean glass jar. Refrigerate. Makes about 1 cup.

Brighid, who had some tonight, drizzled over ham

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net