[Sca-cooks] Roast piggy portions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 20 22:39:42 PST 2001

Vicente asked:
> When serving a roast piggy as part of a feast, how do you estimate the size
> of the uncooked beast you're going to need?  We're looking at 175 people
> including the head table, menu to include three other meat dishes plus a
> fair number of veggies and starches.  I was hoping to contract it out to
> some professionals, but it's looking to be an expensive prospect.  The
> caterers have told me to estimate a pound per person, but with all the other
> meats on the menu, I think that may be a bit generous.
>
> If I have to, I can rent a cooker and do the thing myself, but that involves
> appointing someone to watch the thing all day, and running the risk that it
> won't cook in time.

If you are actually going to roast piggy, you might be interested in
looking at these files in the Florilegium, if you haven't already read
them. Perhaps some of the comments in these files might prevent you from
making the same mistakes some of these folks did. And if you aren't
likely to make those mistakes, well, perhaps you will find some of the
stories funny anyway.
whole-pig-msg     (36K)  9/23/01    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/whole-pig-msg.html
Cooking-Piggy-art  (5K)  9/27/01    A humorous adventure cooking a pig.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Cooking-Piggy-art.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net