[Sca-cooks] Roast piggy portions

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Nov 20 13:49:04 PST 2001

You might browse all the websites listed under
whole hog grilling in a google search. See:
http://www.tonysmarket.com/CookingGuide/Pork.htm
as an example.
 We did
relatively small ones the last time I was involved
with this. (We were selling sandwiches at a med/ren
faire the one time, so it was all more for show...)
I would make sure the hog is dressed out, unless you
want to pay for parts of the carcass that you aren't
going to use. You could always serve a suckling pig for
the head table and porkloins to the rest or shoulders,
if you find that going the whole hog route is too much.
Don't forget to included the costs of fuel to the bill.
You can use a lot of charcoal or seasoned wood doing one
of these. Also make sure that the site will allow for
cooking in the parking lot.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway