[Sca-cooks] ambergris substitute? Ivory

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Nov 22 12:43:14 PST 2001

I think you are thinking of rhinoceros horn when you say tusks are masses of
clumped hair.  Elephant and walrus ivory are a bony (not bone, but bone like
substance. I have a 5lb walrus tusk I got years ago in Alaska, and I have
seen carved elephant ivory and rhino horn, and the walrus and elephant are
the same (or so similar you can't tell the difference unless you know what
you are looking for.  Rhino horn is completely different in texture, and
does look like hairs glued together.

Regina Romsey