[Sca-cooks] chestnut soup

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Nov 22 16:38:27 PST 2001

Magdalena said:
> You can also get vacuum packed ones that are supposed to be much better
> than the canned.  I haven't tried them myself, but they're available at
> specialty food stores.
>
> I've seen fresh ones all over the place this year, though.  You could
> try calling all the local groceries and asking!

Yes, I wonder if there is a bumper crop this year, or something. While
I didn't find them at the first store (HEB) I went to, I did find them
across the street at Albertson's. And is in Austin. Not exactly
chestnut country. Not expecting to find any, I hadn't made plans to
use them in my stuffing. I thought I might throw them in, but ran out
of time. So, I now have a big bag of them and need/want to find
something
to do with them.

I wonder if you guys are a bad influence. I had three items I was
making. Southwestern dressing/stuffing, horseradish mashed potatos
and maple pecans. I didn't like any of the recipes I found for
dressings, so I made up my own using various recipes as starting
points. The potatos called for sweet cream. I decided that sour
cream sounded better for this, so used that. Couldn't find the
white pepper for the maple pecans, so used a pepper medley and
decided cinnamon would be a good addition to other spices, so
added that.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net