[Sca-cooks] The Tofurky Report

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 23 08:39:33 PST 2001

margaret wrote:

> Adamantius said
>
> snip
> yesterday I tanked up primarily on my sister-in-law's bacalao and red onion
> salad with avocado and yucca...
>

> What my dear friend is bacalao? The rest sounds lovely and is a very good
> combination of flavors. Margarite

This is basically a salad of flaked salt cod, avocado, red onion, hard-boiled egg (I think she included tomato this time, too), with thick green olive oil and lemon juice. This is usually served, or so I gather, with a side assortment of firm vegetables, usually some combination of batata, taro, and/or yucca, with ripe or green plantains. In this case the verdura (the yucca, etc.) were just mixed in, in large chunks, except for the plantains, which were unripe and sort of potato-ey textured when cooked, and just peeled and slit to facilitate cooking; this was just mixed in with the other ingredients. Compared to a lot of the traditional American Thanksgiving fare, it's a nice, light, fresh-tasting pace-breaker.

Adamantius -- so many cuisines, so little time
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com