[Sca-cooks] RE: German Pickles, Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #996

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:20:30 PST 2001

I have made and really enjoy these pickled beets.  I used fresh beets for
the first batch I did and canned whole (that I cut up) for following
batches.  I noticed only a little difference.  I was unable to find fresh
horseradish root and used the paste from a jar and did not find that it made
the liquid cloudy.  Perhaps I have been lucky or maybe it was the brand, but
I did not have a problem.

I must say that it is wise to let folks know about the horseradish.  It
seems odd to me but a lot of folks are allergic to it.  Since it is not one
of the things that comes up often it is seldom thought to mention it to a
head cook.  My daughter has this allergy and I know we havent' mentioned it.
  Of course we are usually in the kitchen...
Olwen

<<<snip>>>