[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 26 10:57:23 PST 2001

Michael Gunter wrote:

> Since things are so quiet should we now start the
> annual "What did you have/serve for Thanksgiving?"
> thread?
>
> We only had three guests but I cooked for around
> 12 since Selene and I both love leftovers. Although
> about now steak and/or sushi is looking good.

Nothing special at this end, but we had fun anyway...

Bacalao con verdura
Roast Turkey (breast only, perhaps)
Baked Ham
Gravy made from the turkey drippings, etc.
Potatoes mashed with heavy cream
That nasty green bean thing
Mashed Hubbard squash
Sweet potato pudding with pecans and brown sugar
More sweet potatoes, this time a sort of galette
Cranberry sauce with candied orange rind and baby ginger shreds
Braised weinkraut
Cornbread dressing
Some species of carrot dish
Chocolate cream pie
Pumpkin pie

I must remember to remind my sister that ingredients are there for a
reason, and that you don't simply leave out the stock or other flavorful
liquid from cornbread dressing just because one is a vegetarian. The
braised sauerkraut was a nice surprise, somewhere in between pickled red
cabbage, the sauerkraut from Alsatian choucroute garni, and bigos. It
had onion, apple, and what seemed to be ham in it, all simmered until
tender. It went well with turkey, kind of like some German Christmas
goose presentations.

The sweet potato galette was an experiment of mine, basically a hybrid
of Pommes Anna and Tarte Tatin. Thin-sliced sweet potatoes layered in a
buttered iron skillet with a sprinkle of sugar and some candied ginger
between the layers, baked, turned over halfway through the cooking time,
  and cooked until brown and crisp on the top and bottom and sort of
collapsed in the middle.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy