[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 26 18:47:31 PST 2001

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com wrote:

> Seemingly we are split between those who find Jell-O reprehensible and not to
> be born and those who don't mind indulging in a little squiggle with goodies
> in it. I have been known to make and enjoy a lemon Jell-O, lemonade
> concentrate and cool whip dessert that separates into three layers all by its
> lonesome and is neither too sweet nor too sour. Tastes especially good on hot
> summer days...

Certainly there's a very long tradition of various light, either sweet
or savory, gelatinous combinations as a refreshing palate cleanser. They
don't _have_ to be intrinsically nasty.

> My late aunt who was so southern she had two first names, used to always have
> at least one "congealed salad" on her tables. If not, she felt she had failed
> as a hostess...

Gee, it's been a long time since anyone on this list has called me by my
appellation of UUY, and even though I gather there are things like hot
dog jello salad not too far north of me, I'm not aware of seeing such
things except when I travel.

My Dad used to tell us of an occasion when an army cook, tired of the
same old stuff, and who'd gotten hold of some fresh tomatoes, made a
tomato aspic salad which he stuffed back into the peeled and
hollowed-out tomatoes. He proudly served this masterpiece to the
mystified rank and file, who asked just what the h**l had happened. Dad,
theoretically in command of some of these men, elbowed them in the ribs
and said, "It's tomato aspic salad. Shut up. Smile. Eat." Finally the
guy at the end of the line came out with, "Cripes! The cole slaw fell
inta the jello!"

Dad said the creamed, chipped beef was especially gluey for the next
several weeks, and seemed to show up with an awfully repetitive monotony.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com