[Sca-cooks] Re: Thanksgiving Feasts

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 12:46:32 PST 2001

It was asked: <<Since things are so quiet should we now start the
annual "What did you have/serve for Thanksgiving?" thread?>>

Warning - sad story ahead ;-)

Well.......
  on T-day itself we (Kynar & I + my Mom & Dad) went to my
sister-in-law's house for her "Famous Cardboard Turkey". It was her
turn to host - what can I say.
 We thought we had her talked into a hotel-style (breast only) roast,
but she got a "really good deal" on an 11 pound turkey. She put it on
about 6:30 -- we ate at 2. It was done.
  With it we had all the usual suspects: mashed potatoes, little rock
hard, barely cooked "baby" carrots, canned peas, jellied cranberry
sauce (well, that was a request from my lord), fresh-baked rolls and
sausage stuffing. The beverage of choice was Coke or tea.  My folks
opted for water.
  I WILL say that the stuffing was excellent. I grabbed as much as I
could for the leftover bag. She apologized because the rolls hadn't
risen very much, but they still ate pretty good, anyhow.
  She didn't remember what my folks could or couldn't have, so she put
no butter, salt or pepper into anything, just on the table. (They can
have all that - it's cheese products, caffeine, sugar and eggs they
have to watch)
  Dessert was the redeeming feature, since we brought it.  My Mom
brought low-sugar chocolate cupcakes, which vanished rapidly, and I
made the Flaune de Almayne (an apple and raisin custard pie; I used
frozen egg substitute) from the Miscellany. It too, found good homes.
(My Dad took home the last of it).
Next year it's MY turn.

Bethra

PS On Friday we hauled out the grill and had a pair of 1 1/2 inch thick
Porterhouse steaks, caramelized onions, sherried mushrooms, baked
potatoes with loads of butter and sour cream and real bacon bits,
popovers with honey butter and chocolate swirl cheesecake. And lots and
lots of coffee.

=====
Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant
   Barony of Stonemarche        EK