[Sca-cooks] Re:Bacalao-was Thanksgiving feasts [SCA COOKS]

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Tue Nov 27 14:55:34 PST 2001

If you walk into a Portuguese grocery store, you will be more likely to find a big box of dried salt cod than any fresh (or even frozen for that matter , at least around here).  However, Mairin is quite right - bacalao is cod in any form.

One of my favorite salt cod dishes is "Bacalao a Braz".  It involves alternating layers of shredded cooked salt cod, very thinly sliced potatoes, and thinly sliced onions -YUM!  The salting process changed the texture of the fish, makes it work better in certain dishes.

Faerisa

P.S.  It is very important to remember to de-salt the cod before using it.  Seems obvious, right?  Well, my father and the two other bachelors he was sharing an apartment with in his youth never figured this out until AFTER making their first time meal alone - yuk!