[Sca-cooks] New compost recipe (long)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Nov 27 17:49:33 PST 2001

>com-POST, n., [OFr. composte, compote, condiment, pickle < L.
>compositus; see COMPOSITE], 1. a composition; compound. 2. a mixture of
>decomposing vegetable refuse, manure, etc., for fertilizing the soil.
>
>com-POTE, n., [F., see COMPOST]
>
>It's probably worth noting that the first version, spoken in French,
>would end up with either a silent or absent "s", as in hospital/hopital,
>hostel/hotel, etc.

Well, mylord, here I beg to differ.  French being my first language, I can
guarantee you that the S in compost is indeed pronounced and changes the
meaning.  Also, compote carries a silent e.  This e while not pronounced
changes the way you pronounce the word.  Hard to describe in words, perhaps
I'll post a little wav on my site.

I just looked in "Larousse de la langue francaise, LEXIS", the 1985
edition.  Note the quick translation is from me...  It says:

Compost:  [English word, from ancient french Compost, from the latin
compositus].  Mixture of dirt, organic garbage and lie, which transform
itself little by little into dirt.

Compote:  [from Latin composita, from componere, to put together]  Fruits,
whole or cut in parts, cooked with sugar.

>They are pretty obviously the same word. The fact that American
>gardeners are unaware of the etymology really changes nothing.

Here again, I must argue :-)  They are NOT the same word.  They have the
same *origin*, but usage has changed them.  *today*, compost and compote
are two different things.  The word's origin, as you rightly point out, is
the same.  But the meaning has veered off quite a bit.

Of course, I'm just a cook, not a linguist, soooo, I may just be full of
compost to be ;-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom