[Sca-cooks] New compost recipe (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 27 17:58:46 PST 2001

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

>> com-POST, n., [OFr. composte, compote, condiment, pickle < L.
>> compositus; see COMPOSITE], 1. a composition; compound. 2. a mixture of
>> decomposing vegetable refuse, manure, etc., for fertilizing the soil.
>>
>> com-POTE, n., [F., see COMPOST]
>>
>> It's probably worth noting that the first version, spoken in French,
>> would end up with either a silent or absent "s", as in hospital/hopital,
>> hostel/hotel, etc.
>

> Well, mylord, here I beg to differ.  French being my first language, I can
> guarantee you that the S in compost is indeed pronounced and changes the
> meaning.  Also, compote carries a silent e.  This e while not pronounced
> changes the way you pronounce the word.  Hard to describe in words, perhaps
> I'll post a little wav on my site.

Fair enough; this is not my field.

> I just looked in "Larousse de la langue francaise, LEXIS", the 1985
> edition.  Note the quick translation is from me...  It says:
>
> Compost:  [English word, from ancient french Compost, from the latin
> compositus].  Mixture of dirt, organic garbage and lie, which transform
> itself little by little into dirt.
>
> Compote:  [from Latin composita, from componere, to put together]  Fruits,
> whole or cut in parts, cooked with sugar.
>
>> They are pretty obviously the same word. The fact that American
>> gardeners are unaware of the etymology really changes nothing.
>

> Here again, I must argue :-)  They are NOT the same word.  They have the
> same *origin*, but usage has changed them.  *today*, compost and compote
> are two different things.  The word's origin, as you rightly point out, is
> the same.  But the meaning has veered off quite a bit

> Of course, I'm just a cook, not a linguist, soooo, I may just be full of
> compost to be ;-)

Well, the first question that comes to my mind is, is a French
dictionary more or less reliable than an English one when the subject is
a word the French dictionary claims is an English word?

As for the changed meaning, yes. One is, primarily and generically, a
mixture, and in a specific but not exclusive usage, a mixture destined
to be humus (no, I did _not_ say hummous), while the other is a mixture
of fruits. I don't see this as an especially large difference. In both
cases the operative concept is a combination of objects.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com