[Sca-cooks] New compost recipe (long)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 27 19:08:08 PST 2001

I believe your compositus should be compositum.  "Compositum" is the neuter
past participle of "componere."  "Composita" is the feminine past participle
of "componere."  According to the quick ref, both appear as "composte" in
Old French and "compote" in Middle English; however, Johnna's reference to
the Middle English Dictionary reverses these.  It may be that the type of
mixture is originally defined by gender and required the use of two related
words in English, which is essentially genderless.

Bear