[Sca-cooks] New compost recipe (long)

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 21:39:18 PST 2001

> > Compost:  An organic material used in gardening, made of all kind of
rotten
> > materials.
> >
> > Compote:  Usualy fruits cooked slowly with a sweetener added.  (though
it
> > can be done with onions and such :-) )

Those definitions would be the modern French definitions of the words, and
not the period usage or origins or whatever... They might even come from
French words, or maybe it's the other way around. Compost in French is
definitely what I put in my garden. And compote a mush of cooked sweetened
fruit. Not meaning that they didn't come from the same origins or anything
though.