[Sca-cooks] salt cod

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Nov 28 00:02:13 PST 2001

>Okay, if it is dried, salted cod, why are you keeping it in the
>freezer?
>
>Doesn't the moisture in the freezer tend to rehydrate the cod?

Errr, no. Freezing tends to dehydrate, not rehydrate: a local book
restorer (who's also a quadruple peer. . . ) recommends that, for old
books that smell of mildew, you put them into an open baggie,
sprinkle some baking powder into the baggie, and then shove
the whole thang into a chest freezer. It all gets very cold, drives
the moisture out of the book and into the baking powder.

I was about to say, "Think, Stefan. Isn't it always a lot drier when
it goes below freezing than it is during high summer?" - but you
live down in Texas, where there is no difference in temperature.
<grin>

(Seriously: chest freezers are cold and dry.)

Alban