[Sca-cooks] salt cod

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 27 22:51:24 PST 2001

Mairin said:
> Bacalao can both mean fresh _and_ salted cod. Since cod is not native
> to Portugal it is most often found there in it's dried, salted form.
> (I have some in the freezer now!)

Okay, if it is dried, salted cod, why are you keeping it in the
freezer?

Doesn't the moisture in the freezer tend to rehydrate the cod?

However, I have noticed that much of the smoked fish and often
other meats as well, that I've bought is no longer smoked enough to
have much effect upon the preservation of the meat. It is just
there for the flavor. :-(

But since these are dried AND salted these would still seem to keep
outside of the freezer.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net