[Sca-cooks] Scandinavian feast

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 06:34:56 PST 2001

It looks like your post got lost among all the
talk about Thanksgiving, Bacalo, and Jello. But
I think it does deserve recognition so here goes.

>I have not been reading the list for about a week. O MY GOOD A 1000
>MESSAGES.

Um, yeah. Cooks seem to talk a lot.

>I was ask to do a hearty, familiar tasting,Viking/Scandinavian,
>not necessarily period feast.  Hear is the menu.

For something not really documented and just for "feel" I
think you did a very nice job. If you want something a little
more accurate there are several folk on this list who are
pretty well expert on Scandinavian and Viking era foods.

>First Course:
>
>Three different flavored soft cheeses; Garlic, Herb, and Shrimp,
>Crackers, Salmon Pate, Pickled Herring, Creamed Herring,
>Brined shrimp.(every  thing
>was eaten but the shrimp flavored cheese)

Wow! They ate the Pickled Herring? It's pretty diffifuclt for me
to get folks to eat that. I happen to love it though.

The rest of the menu sounds pretty good. What sources did you use?
One of my best friends did a Scandinavian feast this year and used
some of my cookbooks. I don't have any real period sources for
that style of cooking but I do have 4 modern cookbooks on Scandinavian
cuisine. She served open-faced sandwiches, fish stew with fish balls,
a meatloaf in sour cream crust, some kind of vegetable I can't
remember right off, and berry pudding with fresh cream. I heard
it was a hit even in Texas.

Congrats on a fine feast.

Gunthar