[Sca-cooks] Latin names for spices.

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 28 16:08:05 PST 2001

Do they want the Latin name of the spice or do they want the taxonomic name
which is usually Latin or Greek?  There is a big difference.

Ginger is from Zingiber officinale but was known in Ancient Latin as
"zingiberi" and in Medieval Latin "gingiber."

Mace and nutmeg are from Myristica fragrans.  In Medieval Latin mace was
"macis" while nutmeg derives from "nux muscata" or "nut which smells like
musk."

Cloves are from Syzygium aromaticum.  The common name derives from the Latin
"clavus" meaning "nail."  A while back I was discussing a German recipe
which used the term "nail" and was referring to cloves.  Platina,
interestingly enough, appears to use the Greek word "caryophyllon" rather
than a Latin term.

Garlic is Allium sativum.  Platina refers to garlic as "allium."

Saffron is the stigma of Crocus sativus.  Again from Platina, "crocum."

Cinnamon is the bark of Cinnamomum zeylanicum.  "Cinnamomum" in Latin.

Bear

I need help (again) and of course this is the most logical place to get it.
I am planning on making a meat pie for an A&S entry.  The problem I have is
that they want the latin names of all spices.  Now I'm pretty good at the
latin names for Fungi (Cantharellus cibarius, Morchella esculenta and
Boletus edulis to name three of my favorites) spices leave me cold.
Does any one have a resource or know the latin names for the plants that
provide:
ginger
mace
cloves
garlic (I know it's Allium something)
saffron
cinnamon
Thankyou in advance.
Helewyse de Birkestad.
In case you were wondering that is Chantrelle, Morel and Cep.  I have been
harvesting wild mushrooms for half my life now.  Still here and still
haven't poisoned myself.  There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom
hunters but no old bold mushroom hunters!