Verifying eggs (Was: [Sca-cooks] Food Fight!!)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Nov 28 15:53:01 PST 2001

I said:
> >Actually there is an easy way to verify whether an egg is hard boiled
> >or not. Spin it.

Olwen answered with:
> There is another way, IIRC, to tell if an egg is hardboiled involving
> putting it in water.  Can't recall what it does exactly.  I think one goes
> pointy end up and the other lays on its side or something.  Anyone at home
> with a bowl of water and a hard and raw egg?

This might work. And does lend itself to doing a large number of
eggs at once. However, can it tell the differance between a soft-boiled
and a hard-boiled egg?

Gorgeous Muiredach answered with:
> Well, that, or make sure you ask for PEELED hard boiled eggs...  <eg>

Yes, I thought of that. It means a lot of extra work and it may be
possible to peel a soft-boiled egg. I've never tried it myself.

Stefan