[Sca-cooks] Kitchen tools question (mandolin)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Nov 28 16:30:17 PST 2001

>Okay, I see two other possiblities other than the knife for slicing
>things. How do they compare to this mandolin or using a knife?
>
>A) There is a slot like blade on the side of my box grater.

Usualy not sturdy enough for things that are harder, such as carrots,
etc.  Also quite not sharp enough.  Also the width of the "slot" is usualy
on the narrow side.  Finally, it only gives you one thickness.

>B) Isn't there a "slicing" blade in most food processors? So far I've
>only used the shredding blade in mine.

This works good for some stuff, such as carrots, celeri, etc.  Again,
usualy only one thickness.  Because of the way it's built, it doesn't
provide a lot of flexibility in slicing.  For example, you can slice
carrots in little round slices, cutting perpendicular to the carrot's
length, but you can't make long rectengular'ish slices by cutting lengthwise.

Hope that answers your questions Stefan :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka