[Sca-cooks] Kitchen tools question (mandolin)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Nov 28 15:47:00 PST 2001

Gorgeous Muiredach said:
> >Are they that much faster/better for the
> >slicing jobs that they are worth bothering with
>
> Yes, and yes, and yes.  They also afford the advantage of UNIFORMITY.  That
> and the fact that most people don't/won't/can't use their knifes to prepare
> that thin slices, or regular julienne, etc.

Okay, I see two other possiblities other than the knife for slicing
things. How do they compare to this mandolin or using a knife?

A) There is a slot like blade on the side of my box grater. I've
only used the side for grating cheese, so I have no experience
with this. But it looks like that is what it is for. And a box
grater is cheap. Only a few dollars.

B) Isn't there a "slicing" blade in most food processors? So far I've
only used the shredding blade in mine.

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous