[Sca-cooks] salt cod

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 22:15:13 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Eisenstein" <Alban at socket.net>

> >> (Seriously: chest freezers are cold and dry.)
> >
> >Ok. Is there a differance in this between the upright and the
> >chest freezers and the ones that are part of the refrigerator?
>
> I think (although cannot confirm) chest freezers do a slightly better
> job of keeping things cold: when you open them, the cold stays inside
> rather than falling out all over your feet as happens when you open
> the refrigerator freezer. And that means lower humidity.
> They also store more, of course. Dunno about lower temperatures,
> though.

Also, the thing that makes a big difference is that most chest freezers
don't have an auto-defrost thing. Yo do need to defrost them yourselves
after a while, but since you don't open them as often as your refrigerator
you don't get as much moisture in and thus, not as much frost forms in.

That auto-defrost thing really gets that "freezer taste" into things you
keep too long in a refrigerator freezer.

What I take out of the chest freezer here after a couple of months doesn't
even smell like a freezer.