[Sca-cooks] Latin names for spices.

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 29 04:31:36 PST 2001

If the rules state "Latin names," then the authors do not express precisely
what they are requesting.  "Formal scientific names" or "taxonomic
identification" is what is being sought, while the rules may be interpreted
as "the name of the object in the European lingua franca of the period."

The intent may be to precisely identify the plants being used, but the
phrasing as you present it suggests the authors of the rules know little of
taxonomy and are requiring "Latin names" to aggrandize their rules rather
than to properly inform the populace.

Of course, I may be reading a little to much into simple ignorance (theirs
or mine).  I stopped entering A&S competitions a long time ago due to such
idiocy.

Bear

Thankyou to those who posted the latin names for spices back to me.
As to why they are required.  Ask the person who set the A&S judging
criteria for the mid-realm.  There is a long list of forbidden herbs, which
cannot be included in any food or medicinal preparation for an A&S
competition.  A shorter list of restricted herbs, which must be clearly
identified if present in any A&S entry (including North American
Elderberry).  And the judging criteria clearly state that the latin names of
all herbs/spices in any food or medicinal preparation must be given in the
documentation or the entry will be automatically disqualified.  Makes little
sense to me, as I assume most people know what mace and nutmeg are while few
would be able to identify Myristica fragrans in a list of ingredients.
Ours is not to wonder why,  Ours is just to say "Whatever floats your
boat!".
Helewyse de Birkestad