[Sca-cooks] Re: Research cooking vessels

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 07:42:35 PST 2001

Stefan wrote:

>You might want to look at these files in the FOOD-UTENSILS section of >the
>Florilegium:
>aquamaniles-msg   (10K)  3/ 2/00    Fancy period jugs to hold water >for
>washing.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/aquamaniles-msg.html
>(There were a number of these made of brass in the Met in NYC when I
>was there, but these aren't strictly "cooking vessels")

Originally, these were supposedly made of bronze and potters used to copy
the look/appearance of the original ones.  In Japan, they are called Kenji
(if I am remembering correctly, Kiri?) and in the Seattle Musuem of Asian
Arts (I can't remember if that was the exact name or not of the museum) they
had several of the procelain ones on display.  They were very nice.

There is an Italian book all on aquamaniles as well.  If anyone is
interested, I can find the title and possibly get the ISBN, if it has one.
My second Laurel who isn't on this list, Master Hroar Stormgengr makes some
pretty spiff ones and sells them at Pennsic (too cheap in my opinion because
of the time involved on these guys).  Last Pennsic he had a knight on the
back of his horse...very cool.  They normally sell out by the first weekend.
:)

And now back to your normally scheduled programme. ;)

--Arte (way too excited to talk pottery to cooks) ;)